TraditionsProjectLearn more about the Artists.

Phoenix Factory

Collection of the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts at Old Salem, Winston-Salem, NC, acc. 1054.3
Alkaline-glazed stoneware jug, attr. to the Phoenix Factory

Photos

The Phoenix Stone Ware Factory was established ca. 1840 by Collin Rhodes and his partner Robert Mathis. Mathis and Rhodes were the former co-owners of the Pottersville factory when they opened the Phoenix Factory in an attempt to gain access to the markets of Newberry, Union, and Aiken. Two of the most highly skilled turners during this period were employed at the Phoenix Factory: Thomas Chandler and Isaac Durham.

Audio   (Transcript Coming Soon)

bullet icon Cinda Baldwin briefly discusses the Phoenix Factory (00:24)

Back